5/10/2010

Frank Frazetta, 1928-2010. RIP, to a Living Legend


This news had hit me unbelievably hard.  While I wept for Ellie - this news has brought me to my knees.  He was my hero.  He was the reason I wanted to draw.  He made me want to be an artist.  And now, he's gone from this physical plane.

There will never ever be another artist like him in my lifetime.  In my generation, there was only ONE Frank Frazetta.

There's going to be a lot of posts on the internet about how this man inspired he/she to create art.  Lots.  All of them very personal - just as mine was.  I'll never be able to put into words how Frazetta meant to me.  Hopefully, some day at least my art will be able to capture SOME of those feelings.


ETA: add a couple of links - first, one over at the NYT; one quibble, they say his women were "helpless" - anyone, ANYone who was an admirer of Frazetta's work will argue that his women were "helpless".  His women were demure, otherwordly creatures who had everything under their complete control.  Anyways, here's the link:  http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/frank-frazetta-fantasy-illustrator-dies-at-82/

James Gurney on his always exceptional blog, had some beautiful words regarding Frazetta.  Best for y'all to go on over there and read it yourself: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2010/05/frank-frazetta-1928-2010.html

No comments:

Post a Comment